Background of ministry Brian and Heather Flood said ‘yes’ in the Fall of...
Background of ministry
Brian and Heather Flood said ‘yes’ in the Fall of 2014 when members from the community approached them to offer an education program to help adults in the downtown Thomas Square community overcome barriers to rising above poverty. With the Flood’s background in education and professional arenas they bring an individualized approach to assessing the needs of Hope Academy’s students.
Hope Academy is an effort to reach into the Savannah community for Christ. The Academy focuses on the educational needs of downtown Savannah adults to expand their worldview and to help them find God’s purpose for their life.
Teachers: We are asking for an eight week commitment, meeting weekly for 1.5 – 2 hours with a class. Also 1+ hours for class preparation as needed.
Homework coaches: 2 hours, once a week (also eight week commitment)
Ways to Serve
- Neighborhood Outreach
- Career Mentors
- Whitefield Center work days
- Seminar Assistants
- Discipleship leaders
- Grant Writing
Partner Contact Information
Background of ministry The Dream Campaign began when we (Glen & Morgan) were...
The Dream Campaign began when we (Glen & Morgan) were working with inner city youth in Atlanta and noticed a lack of hope these youth had for their future. We didn’t like it and decided that we wanted to show these youth their God-given gifts. The youth could not see outside of their current circumstances. We want to change that.
To meet students where they are at and give them tools and opportunities to dream for their future. We will do this by creating opportunities for at risk youth and their families to discover their gifting, develop their abilities and dream for their future.
Mentors must meet with their youth at least 2 times per month for at least 2 hours per month.
Performance Initiatives is dedicated to help others by using athletics and fitness. The...
Performance Initiatives is dedicated to help others by using athletics and fitness. The mission is simple…to inspire and implement principles in programs which will enrich the lives of others physically, psychologically, and spiritually. About 80 children attend this program after school during the week. Performance Initiatives takes the opportunity to mentor the children as they lift weights, get fit, and stay healthy.
To model and implement a three tier approach – enabling people to strengthen themselves physically, mentally and spiritually in developing healthier and more productive lifestyles.
Ways to Serve & Commitment Level
- Tutoring Students -min. of one hour /once a week during the hours of 3pm-6:30pm M-F
- Spiritual Development- Youth Groups/Huddles are weekly on Fridays from 6pm-7:30pm
- Mentoring Students- this is a weekly opportunity, min. an hour a week (this could be tutoring, helping with service projects, etc )
- Building repairs – on going as needed, can be done on Saturdays, as the volunteer’s time allows
- Fundraiser Committee-ongoing through out the year
- Board of Directors or Advisory Board positions- meet bi-monthly
- Front Desk/ Greeting- hours are M-F 3pm-7pm (a volunteer can serve anytime during these hours)
- Administrative support- 2-4 hours a month,filing, data input, etc
- Marketing/newsletter team- Newsletter goes out monthly