Background of ministry Did you know that right here in Savannah we have...
Did you know that right here in Savannah we have a large population of refugee families from all over the world?! Every week many of these families find community, hope and love through the work of the Hope Academy. Since 2015 Brian and Heather Flood have led Hope Academy and their team of volunteers as they teach English classes, tutor, mentor and build relationships with these incredible families as they overcome unimaginable obstacles to create a new life in a land completely foreign to them.
At Hope Academy we believe everyone benefits when people find their Hope and Pursue their Purpose. We do that by helping our neighbors, who have come here from around the world, learn English. We help them integrate with their new culture and pursue their purpose beyond language learning by sharing their gifts with our community. Our focus is using education to welcome adults and their families. If you have a desire to welcome our new neighbors well in the name of Jesus then contact us. There is likely a place for you to share Hope with our new friends.
Typically volunteers serve two hours once a week or less.
Ways to Serve
- Women to serve in our Friday program through our teaching team, hospitality team, children’s team and transportation team. Mothers with children of all ages are encouraged to serve with their children.
- Men who can help with special events and one time practical helps opportunities like moving day or special sports opportunities.
- Summer Volunteers are needed in all areas listed above for both our Friday program and Camp Hope, a sports/music camp for Hope Kids.
- Families who want to serve together will find a special opportunity at Camp Hope in the summer.
- Advocates for Hope Academy and its team to sustain our reach within our community.
Partner Contact Information
To learn how you can partner with Hope Academy as a volunteer or financial partner email Brian Flood at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Background of ministry The Dream Campaign began when we (Glen & Morgan) were...
The Dream Campaign began when we (Glen & Morgan) were working with inner city youth in Atlanta and noticed a lack of hope these youth had for their future. We didn’t like it and decided that we wanted to show these youth their God-given gifts. The youth could not see outside of their current circumstances. We want to change that.
To meet students where they are at and give them tools and opportunities to dream for their future. We will do this by creating opportunities for at risk youth and their families to discover their gifting, develop their abilities and dream for their future.
Mentors must meet with their youth at least 2 times per month for at least 2 hours per month.
Performance Initiatives is dedicated to help others by using athletics and fitness. The...
Performance Initiatives is dedicated to help others by using athletics and fitness. The mission is simple…to inspire and implement principles in programs which will enrich the lives of others physically, psychologically, and spiritually. About 80 children attend this program after school during the week. Performance Initiatives takes the opportunity to mentor the children as they lift weights, get fit, and stay healthy.
To model and implement a three tier approach – enabling people to strengthen themselves physically, mentally and spiritually in developing healthier and more productive lifestyles.
Ways to Serve & Commitment Level
- Tutoring Students -min. of one hour /once a week during the hours of 3pm-6:30pm M-F
- Spiritual Development- Youth Groups/Huddles are weekly on Fridays from 6pm-7:30pm
- Mentoring Students- this is a weekly opportunity, min. an hour a week (this could be tutoring, helping with service projects, etc )
- Building repairs – on going as needed, can be done on Saturdays, as the volunteer’s time allows
- Fundraiser Committee-ongoing through out the year
- Board of Directors or Advisory Board positions- meet bi-monthly
- Front Desk/ Greeting- hours are M-F 3pm-7pm (a volunteer can serve anytime during these hours)
- Administrative support- 2-4 hours a month,filing, data input, etc
- Marketing/newsletter team- Newsletter goes out monthly